Strange as it may seem, this life is based on a true story." - Ashleigh Brilliant


Whois


name: shanna
age: 28
sign: scorpio
live: louisiana
feeling:
The current mood of shanna at www.imood.com

Need to know more?

One Million Blogs - Be One!

Pin-up girl by Rion Vernon; used with permission. Header design by the totally awesome Rose. The rest by moi.


More

home

skatoolaki.com

MySpace profile

100 & 100 more things

Spam Recycled

Hotling Hilarity

email

RSS


Blogroll

Blogroll Me!


Rings

<< # Bitch Club ? >>

< # Blogging Bitches ? >

(~ waterblogged ~)

<-- ? In MY Opinion # -->

< ? off on a rant + >

True blue Scorpio


Archives

click to view all


Support/Fan of

Support
Stop This Country - Daryl Wants to Get Off

Show Your Support

      
Marriage is love.

Adagio Teas

Fan of
ATHF Fan

Brian Fan

Stewie Fan

Stewie vs Brian Fan

Love Bites Fan

Fae Fan

Pringles Fan

Angelina Jolie Fan

Law and Order SVU Fan

Everquest Fan

World of Warcraft Fan

The Sims 2 Fan

Neverwinter Nights Fan

Credits 'n Counters


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Listed on Blogwise

free web tracker

 


Pet Projects

Star Suck

Fan Suck


Stuff


My blog is worth $14,113.50.
How much is your blog worth?

Monday, April 12, 2004

Hope everyone had a nice Easter. Mine gave me time to reflect on the fact that I'm so very lucky to come from such an open-minded (and certifiably crazy) family. Topics of conversation around the dinner table included jokes about "The Passion of Christ" and the entire resurrection in general (and we were halfway through all of that before we even realized we were making such jokes on Easter), sex and sexual astrology, gay marriages and the thought that Jesus was most likely a pot-smoking hippie. Glory, glory hallelujah.

But truly, what if I, being the gregariously open-minded and taboo-loving person that I am, came from a more conservative lot? What if "my people" were church-going, Bible-beating, gay-hating, pray-for-all-sinners-souls type of individuals? Would I still be in contact with them? More likely than not, I'd come around just to argue my point of views with them, but I daresay they'd like me very much. I am very lucky to come from such cool folks. I think of my gay friends who cannot tell their parents who they really are, and live with the fear of losing family ties because of prejudices. I've read of Pagans being shunned from Christian families because of fear and ignorance. My family may be crazy, but at least their love for me - no matter how quirky, over-the-top, or bitchy I may be - is truly unconditional. And for that, I know I am blessed.

Speaking of ignorance and prejudices, I had an interesting conversation with a co-worker a few weeks back. He's one of those who I don't normally engage in conversation with for the simpe fact that it would be pointless. When he talks about sending gay people to some deserted island because they are "freaks", for example, I just keep my mouth shut. Sure, I could stand up for my beliefs, and my friends, but what good would it do? He isn't going to listen to anything I say, and I sure as hell am not going to be swayed to his viewpoint. Usually, if gets to be too much, I will say to these types of people, "Well, you know, most of my best friends are gay." This usually shuts them up and I don't have to get into an argument that's about as productive as speaking to a brick wall. But recently I heard him complaining about music - in particular I head him say:

"Have you heard that new song out on the radio? Where they're singing about 'poo-poo'? Oh my god, that's disgusting. I can't believe what they play on the radio these days."

He rambled on for quite some time about it and then asked me, who was standing nearby, if I'd heard the song. Normally, I would just say no or yes and end it. But I said, "Oh yes, I have the album." I'm a big Outkast fan, and not ashamed of that...jeez.

He looked really shocked. "Shanna," he said. "You listen to that kind of stuff?" ("That kind of stuff" meaning "black music" - this is the South, you know)

I nodded. "Yep. I have all of their albums. They're an amazing band."

He snorted derisively, obviously thinking me nuts, and went on with, what I thought, was the most interesting statement he'd made yet. "I mean, my daughter listens to this crap. I don't want my daughter hearing stuff like that on the radio!"

And I just started laughing. Of all the things on the radio (and TV) today that I might not want my child hearing, the word 'poo-poo' is NOT high on the list. Poo-poo. The curse word before all curse words - the most vile and wicked word that one can utter. Poo-poo. Let them shit and damn and ramble on about explicit sex acts. Let them croon about thongs and big butts and skeet, chant about magic sticks and getting drunk and being a slut. It's all alright, as long as they don't sing 'poo-poo'.


- shanna bared her soul & griped a bit @ 8:58 AM
|




Powered by Blogger